Makes enough for 4 servings of pasta
- 1 large bunch of rocket (roughly chopped)
- 3 heaped teaspoons of mixed seeds (or you can use pumpkin, sunflower or linseed if you don't have a mix)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 100ml extra virgin rapeseed oil or light olive oil
- 50g grated Yarg or Parmesan (the cheese is entirely optional)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon or 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
- Bring a large pan of water with 1 heaped teaspoon of salt to a fast boil and blanch the rocket for a few seconds until just wilted. Remove with a small sieve or slotted spoon and immediately dunk into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process (Leave the water to boil for your pasta if you need it)
- Place the garlic, seeds, a good pinch of salt and the lemon juice into a blender and pulse until the seeds have started to form a paste but are still nice and chunky.
- Squeeze any moisture out of your blanched rocket to stop your pesto from getting too wet and then add this to your blender, then pulse until you have a nice course pesto. Taste, season if needed, and if you're adding cheese now is the time to fold it in.
Tip #1: For a smoother, bright green pesto, use a more powerful stick blender on full power.
Tip #2: If having pasta, stir some of the pasta's starchy cooking water into the pesto to loosen it before mixing with your pasta. This will give you a nice silky sauce.
Tip #3: Blanching the rocket before blending helps to keep it bright and green for longer