This bright and savoury sauce is an incredibly versatile use of spinach.
Once prepared it can be used as a delicious pasta sauce, to accompany just about any roast meat or vegetables (particularly good with Lamb), or my favourite use; cook your favourite mix of green veg (kale, sprouting, peas, french beans etc) in fast boiling salted water whilst gently warming a few tablespoons of Spinach Purée in a separate pan. Drain your veg when al dente and mix with the purée as a delicious side dish.
- 1 small potato, peeled and roughly sliced 5mm thick
- ½ an onion, roughly sliced 5mm thick
- 2tbsp unsalted butter
- 250g spinach, washed and drained
- Add the potato, onion and butter to a mid-sized saucepan over a medium heat with 2tbsp water. Cook until everything is very tender and most of the liquid has evaporated (add a tbsp of water at a time if the onion is not yet soft)
- Add your spinach to the saucepan and stir to coat in the buttery potato and onion mixture. Cook just until the spinach is wilted then either blend with a stick blender or move the mixture to a smoothie/soup blender and blitz until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To keep the bright green colour, place the mixture in a cool bowl, cover the surface with cling film and chill as quickly as possible. Reheat gently when needed.
For a dairy-free alternative simply replace the butter with extra virgin rapeseed oil.